Sunday, November 16, 2008

Motrin Makes Moms Mad

Last night I was introduced to a Motrin ad via Twitter that clearly mocks babywearing and uses it to promote the need for their product. As a babywearing mother and proprietor of a business that sells slings, I was offended and appalled at this type of advertising.

Here is what the ad says:


Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion.

I mean in theory it’s a great idea.


And who knows what else they’ve come up with. Wear your baby on your side, your front, go hands free.

Supposedly, it’s a real bonding experience.

They say that babies carried close to the bod tend to cry less than others.

But what about me? Do moms that wear their babies cry more than those who don’t?
I sure do!

These things put a ton of strain on your back, your neck, your shoulders. Did I mention your back?!

I mean, I’ll put up with the pain because it’s a good kind of pain; it’s for my kid.

Plus, it totally makes me look like an official mom.

And so if I look tired and crazy, people will understand why.


This type of advertising is outrageous, ignorant and condescending towards moms. I went to http://www.motrin.com/ and sent them a letter about why this ad should never have run. They also have another ad that paints mothers as all being stressed out and crazy. This kind of advertising concerns me because it contributes to the over medication of America.

Babywearing does not hurt your back, neck or shoulders if done properly. In fact, it is the preferred method of carrying because of how simple and comfortable it is. Babywearing is the primary method of carrying infants and toddlers throughout the world. In Africa, for example, mothers wear their babies to keep them safe from predators. Laying their babies down in their huts while they worked would be very dangerous.

Personally, I wore my babies around the house to complete chores while baby slept peacefully against my chest or on my back. Long walks were a breeze with my baby in my sling. Never once did I need Motrin or any other pain reliever for that matter.

Katja Presnal, social media and PR guru compiled all our tweets last night along with some pictures of moms wearing their babies and posted it in her blog. I encourage you to check it out and comment.

Wear your baby! It's good for your baby and easy on your back!

1 comment:

Nadine M. Rosin said...

As a former massage therapist I agree...it's the "on the hip" moms who have all the physical issues: from the body's trying to compensate. Anyway, Motrin is bad for your liver!