Thursday, December 4, 2008

Harvest Salad - I'm Addicted!

I teach after-school enrichment classes and this is one of the recipes that we make this time of year. I am totally addicted to it! I could eat a whole batch myself...and have!

Harvest Salad

1/4 cup Balsamic (preferably White Balsamic) or Rice vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey (preferably Raw)
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup olive oil
10 oz mixed salad greens (preferably organic)
1 apple or pear – sliced (ditto)
8 oz crumbled feta cheese
½ cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup walnuts or pecans (my favorite)–(optional)

In a blender combine vinegar, mustard, honey, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and some fresh ground black pepper.

Cover and blend for 30 seconds.

With the blender running slowly, add oil in a thin, steady stream. (If necessary, stop blender and scrape down sides.)

In a salad bowl, combine greens, apple or pear, feta cheese, cranberries and walnuts.

Drizzle with dressing.

Toss gently to coat.

Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Serve and join my addiction!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds absolutely delicious! I'm going to have to try this one.